- This event has passed.
Body-Informed Leadership: 8-Month Online Introduction (UK and Europe)
October 17, 2020 @ 1:30 pm - May 23, 2021 @ 4:30 pm
Body-Informed Leadership: 8-Month Online Introduction
This program is a journey through the landscape of Cultural Somatics and Body-Informed Leadership. Our starting-place is the understanding that how we relate to our bodies is the template for how we relate to each other and the world; from there, we will look at the Nervous System and the brain-body states of love and fear; at intergenerational trauma and epigenetics; at the dynamics of privilege and oppression and their origins in the body; at the creative and expressive potential of the body; and, we will learn the key Body-Informed Leadership practices to create a healthier cultural soma capable of co-creating more just, inclusive, and loving human cultures.
Course Participation Includes
- 8 online group sessions of 3 hours each
- 3 individual mentoring sessions with Madelanne of 1.5 hours each
- Assigned readings and reflection/integration activities
- Between-session discussion in a private online platform
- A final project designed to support you to put Body-Informed Leadership into practice in your group cultures
This Course is for You If
- You want to step into more authentic partnership with yourself, your fellow humans and the world;
- You want to look at cultural dynamics of privilege and oppression, and to collectively build pathways through and beyond them using Somatic paradigms and tools;
- You want to increase trauma awareness and resilience in yourself and your communities;
- You are uncomfortable with the idea of “embodiment” but are curious about its role in activism and collective liberation;
- You love the idea of embodiment (you may even have a practice of it already) and are curious about its role in activism and collective liberation
- You are curious about non-hierarchical/shared leadership and ways to root it in the body;
- You are willing to be uncomfortable, to try out new perspectives, and to connect across difference;
- You seek a more authentic, joyful, and integrated way of relating with yourself, others, and the world.
Module 1: Surveying the Landscape
Session 1: Introduction to Body-Informed Leadership and Cultural Somatics
Session 2: The Nervous System, Intergenerational Trauma, and Somatic Safety
Module 2: Loving the Landscape
Session 3: Relating With the Felt Sense, Introduction to Domination Dynamics
Session 4: The Body and Belonging
Module 3: Cultural Resilience and Healing
Session 5: Connecting Across Difference
Session 6: Somatic Allyship and Collective Liberation
Module 4:Practicing Body-Informed Leadership
Session 7: Integration: Body-Informed Leadership in Practice
Session 8: Integration: Body-Informed Leadership in Practice
Course Dates & Times
All online sessions take place on Saturdays from 1:30 – 4:30 pm British time, with 2 15-minute breaks
Module 1 Dates: Oct 17, Nov 14
Module 2 Dates: Dec 12, Jan 9
Module 3 Dates: Feb 6, March 6
Module 4 Dates: April 3, May 1
The course costs £875, which can be paid in one lump-sum or in 8 monthly instalments of £109.
A non-refundable deposit of £109 (which goes towards your course tuition) is required no later than September 26, 2020 to secure your place. The remaining balance is due on October 16th, or on the 1st of each month, beginning in November and ending May 1st.
Payments may be sent to:
Co-Operative Bank, Sort Code: 08-90-66, Acct: 04303570
IBAN: GB27 CPBK 0890 6604 3035 70, BIC: CPBK GB 22
Please notify me via email when your payment has been sent.
*If the cost of the programme is prohibitive, please contact me to discuss alternative arrangements.
I also ask that you send me some writing (no later than September 26, 2020) about: What brings you to this course? What do you hope to gain from it, or experience through it? How does your relationship to your body inform your identity (including your gender, ethnicity, experience of privilege or lack thereof, and anything else that feels relevant – you can write as much or as little about these things as feels right to you – this question is just to get you thinking and to highlight any areas of particular curiosity to you)? Any concerns about the course, or things you would want me (Madelanne) to know? All writing will be kept confidential, although I may refer to it in our individual sessions to support our work together. Please send writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
This course welcomes people of all genders, identities, and ethnicities. All material will be held with an intersectional awareness and an active invitation for multiple perspectives to be expressed.
Because the course is experiential and embodied, and because it touches on potentially challenging subject matter, it could stir up uncomfortable emotions, sensations, and interactions. In the interests of holding the safest space I can for all participants, I may ask someone to end their participation in the course (with a refund for the remainder) if it seems the course is not appropriate for their particular needs, and/or if they repeatedly behave in ways that cause harm to the group.